Sunday, February 19, 2006

 

Being a Moses??

For those of you not attending church w/ me, let me give you a quick background. Today's sermon discussed the importance of being able to see the forrest through the trees so to speak. We focused on Exodus 18, where Moses is told by Jethro how to better manage his time. WOW - what a lesson is all I can say. I wondered as I sat in church, if I was a Moses, a bystander, or a Jethro. This has stayed w/ me all day and I'm still just a perplexed. My other thought is how do others see me? I know there are areas of my life in which I am a Moses, I also know I have been Jethro in the past.
I wonder if it is better to be one as opposed to the other? I get the impression from the lesson that neither is very good (at least at this moment in Moses' life). I also wonder which (if either) God would prefer?

I'm taking this class for grad school entitled Pre-Practicum for School Counselors. Really they should change the title to therapy/self-reflection practice. I'm freaking out w/ what I'm learning about myself. Basically the whole point of the course is for growth as an individual, in hopes of being able to better serve future clients. I'm all for spurring others on to grow - but I don't know if I'm ready myself. Here's what I know so far:
1) My trust was shattered by someone very close to me and although I thought I was over it, I'm not.
2) I pretend or fake it a whole lot more than I should, even around those I trust.
3) I have some confidence problems in myself and in my ability to relate to others.

On a good note, I have discovered how empathetic I am towards other people. It is just nice to at least have some redeeming quality. The remainder of the semester should be interesting, especially to see what I learn about myself.

I guess this big long post was just to say, please bear w/ me as I travel down the long road of self discovery right now.

Comments:
i remember classes like that in college. i took one (kind of jokingly, but i'd always heard good things about) called Relationship Competence. yes, laugh freely (i also took Mate Selection; look where that's got me!) tee hee. I learned a lot about myself in the first one!
Sounds like you're on the right career path what with your discovery of empathy. go you!
 
What school offered those classes, Amanda?
 
Only the best!! War Damn!!

okie doke, fresh air break over, back to house painting....
 
Ok. I have no idea what you just said...
 
Kasey-
I do think you are one of the best listeners I know. It must be weird to learn so much about yourself, but I'm glad you're, well, if not enjoying it, growing from it.

And I agree - I thought the Moses/Jethro/bystander lesson was awesome. I know I play all 3 parts, depending on what part of life I'm dealing with.
 
phil,
that would be Auburn's famed battle cry...'War Damn Eagle!' Or just 'War Eagle' in the presence of children under 18 ;)
 
Tiff,
Thanks for the support, it isn't easy, but I am learning alot about myself, which as my professor says is one of the key lessons for graduate students. Maybe next I can learn punctuation, spelling, and grammer!! :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?