Wednesday, November 09, 2005

 

England - Friday - back to London

I got up way too early this morning, but I guess the rest of the team did as well. Could make for an interesting day. Jason took us (Les and I) to the train station this morning where we met up w/ everybody else. I have two words for you - Curses Michelle!! Her few bags we were supposed to bring back are huge and way heavy!!! I can't imagine living in another country for five years and then coming back to the US, but holy cow her stuff is heavy. I'm pretty sure the guys are going to kill her on sight when we get to Nashville! We caught the train w/ little to no problems. We actually stayed on the same train instead of changing so it made things much, much easier. We had an uneventful ride into London - which is what we all needed for so early in the morning. I rode w/ Tracey, Angie, & Tiffany. We all journaled talked, finished primping for the day, etc. It was very nice. I got to bond a little w/ Angie too - I'm really going to miss her when we get home. After we got to London things got a little complicated (as they often do when traveling in a large group). Some people took Michelles monster bags and took cabs to the hotel. The rest of us took the tube to the hotel. As we were walking to the tube station we ran across Platform 9 3/4 - Yep that's right - there are pictures of me at Platform 9 3/4!!! I couldn't believe it - it was great. Those of us on the train had to change trains a few times, but we eventually made it to Bayswater (the tube stop for our hotel in London). By the time we got off the tube I was pouring sweat. Exactly how I wanted to walk around London for the day - but we made it to the hotel and I used a hair dryer to attempt to do something w/ my hair. It actually didn't do too badly, but I still wish I'd had time to shower. OH well - who cares - I was finally in London!!!
Friday was probably the longest afternoon EVER! We did so many things. We were starving, but needed to sight see on the way to lunch. We went to Buckingham Palace, where we were able to see some "minor members of the royal family" go through the gates in carriages. We then headed to Leicester Square for lunch at the world famous Wagamama. It totally lived up to the name - I loved it. Les' cousin from NYC was able to meet us for lunch as he is studying abroad w/ one of the universities. He is great, so polite and kind. Thanks for lunch Ben!! From there Tiff, Ang, and I went to get Ang's Les Mis ticket - thank goodness we did, cause the production had changed theaters. Better to find out now than tonight when we might be running late. From the ticket booth we met back up w/ everything in Leiscester Square and headed for the Tower of London. Somewhere between the Square and the Tower my mood changed drastically. I was done - I became very withdrawn and quite - almost depressed. I've been struggling/fighting these feelings since Wednesday night and really though the alone time at Chadsworth would have cured it, but I guess not. By the time we got the the Tower of London all I wasnted to do was curl up in a ball and cry. Instead I sucked it up and put on a semi-brave face to go through the tour of the tower. I wish I had been in a better mood b/c it is full of history(which I love), but there was no shaking the gloomy mood that had come over me. I did walk through the crown jewel exhibit which was beautiful - but you can't take pics so I'm really glad I went through. After that Mel, Bart, Chris and myself were ready to head for the hotel and some quiet time. We went to find the exit and stubbled upon the tower bridge. I got really excited and started skipping which I haven't done since I was little. It was really funny. We took some great pictures so I can't wait to see those. We ran into Angie & LB who were leaving too so we all headed back to Bayswater.
I was very, very glad for the alone time when we returned from the hotel. It was great. I laid out my outfit for our big Les Mis and dinner outing tonight. Took my time getting ready. LB and I ended up rooming together cause Vick and Les weren't back yet. Getting to Les Mis was such a headache. Our group can't be on time if our lives depended on it - even though some of the tardiness wasn't our fault, it still kind sucked. So most of the group left for the production, got to the tube station in a single file, wave of people and got on the train. I was towards the back and Mel didn't make it through the turnstile - she had grabbed the wrong tube ticket. While waiting on her to get that sorted out the rest of the group left us. So it ended up Mel, Bart, Dan, and myself were going to the show on our own. Unfortunately the tube line we were on had problems and we got delayed just enough that we were late. I really, really did OK until my watch hit 7:30p (show start time) and then I started to cry. I just knew in my heart of hearts that they wouldn't let us in b/c we were late. I would have been ok, but my favorite parts of Les Mis are the opening scenes and first couple of songs. When we finally made it to the right tube stop and got off - we ran right into LB, who apparently got split off from the other group. So all five of us showed up about 25-30 minutes late. They did let us in to the theater which I was very greatful for. The show was OK, but not the best performance I've seen. Part of it could have been I was too drained to get into the show, I never really emotional engaged in the show, but it was alright. It was great to talk to Bart and Tracey during intermission though.
After the show we went to eat at this amazing Lebanese resturant. It was priceless and wonderful. Dinner took three hours becuase it comes out course by course - it was so great to have that time to visit and joke w/ everyone, but we were exhausted. When we finally finished around 1 am - we took the buses back to the hotel. The food was something I would never have eaten at home and I'm so glad I could share this experience w/ my team. Tomorrow is another full day of sight-seeing and shopping, but first I'm going to sleep late!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?